Marvelous Muffins – Strawberry & Goat Cheese

by jessica on July 9, 2012

As I said on Friday, I went to Central Market and I drooled over everything.

DSCN2530.JPG

These muffins in particular caught my eye. I didn’t even buy one. Bakery muffins are notorious for being full of sugar and far more calories than they are worth. No thank you. I’d rather have a cookie.

My mission? Recreate these and health them up. Strawberries and goat cheese is obviously a delicious combination so I knew I would love them. I would love my version.

Strawberry & Goat Cheese Muffins

I used whole wheat white flour, but feel free to use all-purpose or half all-purpose and half whole wheat. You can sub frozen strawberries, but I would thaw them first and drain off the liquid. Lastly, I used Xagave as a sweetener which cuts the sugar content by a third. If you would rather use sugar, use one cup. Also, if using a dry sweetener instead of agave, you’ll need to compensate for the loss of liquid. Try adding spoonfuls of milk until the batter is smooth enough.

Yield: 18 muffins

photo-7.JPG

Ingredients:

• 3 cups whole wheat white flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 2/3 cup agave
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups plain 2% Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
  • 2 cups sliced strawberries

In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the yogurt, eggs, and agave. Stir in the butter. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Fold in the strawberries. Gently fold in the cheese. Goat cheese is super soft so careful folding it. You want it to stay in crumbles.

DSCN2943.JPG

Spoon into a lined muffin tin. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

DSCN2948.JPG

Now here’s a version of the muffin that I can enjoy. A little salty, a little sweet. Perfection!

You know what I didn’t enjoy? Parchment paper liners. Those were a bitch to make. Never. Again. Unless you have a trick? Do you??

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Katie July 9, 2012 at 7:42 am

OMG I wish i had one of those right now! I am so glad they turned out awesome!

Yeah parchment paper can be a biatch! Why not use cupcake liners?!

jessica July 10, 2012 at 7:42 am

I saw the parchment liners on Martha Stewart’s website. I am definitely not a Martha Stewart! haha

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning July 9, 2012 at 8:23 am

WHOA!!!!! Those sound incredible! I’m the biggest goat cheese fan ever. I need to make these immediately (especially since I’m so obsessed with making muffins). Mine will probably be single serving, cooked in the microwave though, because I’m lazy.
It’s funny- I looked at the photo and thought “parchment liners- that’s brilliant!” and then I saw your comment. Guess I won’t be trying that out- I can just see a potential disaster. :)

jessica July 10, 2012 at 7:43 am

By the last one, I had finally gotten the hang of it. A lot of work, but parchment liners sure are cute!

Jessie July 9, 2012 at 9:08 am

I’ve never had goat cheese! I guess you posting this DELICIOUS sounding recipe is a reason why I should finally try it.. thank you!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness July 9, 2012 at 9:30 am

These look so good! I am obsessed with goat cheese! I would never think to add them to a muffin but I bet they are delicious! Happy Monday!

Calee (@chimes) July 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

YUM. Anything with goat cheese is marvelous!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal July 9, 2012 at 11:07 am

Wow what a great job at recreating these! I want one right nowwwww :P
Have a marvelous day :)

jessica July 10, 2012 at 7:54 am

Thanks!!

Julie July 9, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Goat cheese anything always gets my attention!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes July 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm

What a great idea!!

Krista July 10, 2012 at 1:37 am

Well, I think I know what I’m making tomorrow! I love goat cheese oh so much, and to combine it with strawberry in a muffin! Mmmmm! :o) Thanks!

Rachael July 11, 2012 at 10:31 am

Well I made these and my consistency looks a lot different than your from the photos. Also how sweet did your turn out? Mine tasted more like bread than a muffin.

jessica July 11, 2012 at 10:36 am

What was the consistency? My batter was fairly thick…not arms hurting while you stir, but thicker than a lot of other muffins I’ve made. What type of sweetner did you use? Mine weren’t overly sweet.

Lane April 25, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I bought one of these today *hangs head in shame sort of, not really* and oh man this made my life!!! Surprisingly it was not very sweet but I wanted to find one that was lower in calories and sugar so thanks for the alternative. Would cupcake liners work instead of the wretched parchment paper?